"Vivre Châtel-Argent” is an itinerary that winds its way around this ancient castle, located on the mountaintop that dominates the village of Villeneuve.
The access to Châtel-Argent fortress is through a “ramp”, called this way by Veullatsu (the inhabitants of Villeneuve): a path with steps cut into the rocky walls that dominate the village.
One of the main stages of the itinerary is the church of Saint Mary, one of the most eminent sacred buildings in Aosta Valley. This building is cited in documents from the end of the 12th century, though masonry remains probably belonging to an early Christian building from the 5th century have recently been found. The church housed the parish of Villeneuve until the end of the 18th century.
Châtel-Argent is located at the top of the mountaintop that dominates Villeneuve. This castle is cited in documents from 1274-1275. Its tower is 16 metres high and 9 metres wide. The castle was originally made up of three concentric walls, built along the edge of the stone terraces that dominate the cemetery. Inside the second row of walls there is a military chapel built between the 11th and the 12th centuries and dedicated to Santa Colomba. Inside this chapel there are traces of fresco paintings from the 13th century.
The medieval village of Villeneuve, strategically positioned at the merging of several side valleys, has always been an important service centre (courthouse, hospital for travellers). From the top of the mountaintop there is a view of the parish church bell-tower, consecrated in 1792 by Monsignor Solaro under the name of “Maria Assunta in cielo”.
Guided tours of Châtel-Argent are included in the “through ticket” which allows access to all ten of Fondation Grand Paradis sites.
Timetable and fares