Valle d'Aosta | Italia

Parish church of Saint-Georges

Suspended between the valley and the sky, the parish church of Saint-Georges dedicated to Saint George is the perfect metaphor for the point of contact between earthly and spiritual events. At the highest part of the village, it feeds on large spaces and observes the imposing rock face of the Bec du Merlo.
The old ecclesia and parochia de Voce stood at the bottom of the valley, in Voix, until it was swept away by a violent flood in the 13th century. The location of the parish church can be explained as a choice for greater security and is confirmed by the discovery of an apse and some skulls dating back to the 13th century during the renovation of the floor in the 1980s. The church took its current form with the 18th-century renovation that modified the original Romanesque style by raising the body of the church and the bell tower. The carved and painted Baroque altar was consecrated in 1706 by Monsignor Millet d'Arvillars. A side chapel houses a small museum of sacred art where religious objects from the various chapels in the area are kept; in particular, a processional cross, a silver reliquary and two 15th-century statues of St. Anthony and St. Margaret can be seen.